02 July, 2009

I wonder

Everything changes but does it really? Over the last few months I have not been quite myself and I have had to slow down a bit which has given me time to ponder on life's little quirks. The conclusions I have come to are really not that amazing, just so obvious. I still wonder what would have happened to me if I had still been homeless and using drugs. What would I be doing now? Would I have died and be buried in a paupers grave? Are there better days to come? These questions would never have entered my head a couple of years ago. I still think not much has changed though. I still do some of the same things I did when I was homeless because old habits die hard and habits as most know are hard to break that's why I think I understand more than most the plight of homeless people after they have a home. getting A flat or some kind of accommodation is only part of the battle. The battle to break the habit of homelessness it's self is the toughest. It doesn't matter how good you are at keeping a flat clean and tidy or that you have food. It's this thing that the streets brings you I suppose you could call it the survival instinct you don't want to lose it so you keep going back to the streets because that's what you know so well. Just a few of my own thoughts and I wonder am I right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Post traumatic stress to me. I think that prolonged harrowing experiences leave there mark irrespective of how your fortunes change, maybe the trick is to accept that shit happens. There's a couple of lovely quotes from Winston Churchill that keep me sane:

"When going through Hell, keep going"

And Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiam.

Keep your enthusiam at all costs and learn to live with your past, you had no choice at the time:-)