12 February, 2006

Just thinking out loud

Well, for many years now I have been told my brain is the size of a pea, a very intelligent pea I must add but as I get to thinking about things like my life and people around me I get to thinking how strange things really are. I mean here we are in 2006 and still we could write a novel in the Charles Dickens vein about homelessness, drug addiction and of course there are so many fagins in this country. Well, that's what I call most drug dealers these days. There are so many books written about how people become homeless, it's causes. Drug addiction and alcohol. I'm always asking the question how come? Plus we have so many charities that all do good things yet we still see all these on a large scale. So what is the fundamental problem? How do we cure this cycle of life some people fall into and become so trapped. Is it that once we leave the core of main stream society we become it's invisible and unwanted members? Is it that once you have been there, no one wants you back? Is this why so many people have to fight to become useful members of society again? Is it because of the stigma that stays with them no matter what? These are the sort of questions I am now asking myself along with should I wash my hands before or after meeting with politicians?

2 comments:

Madame Angela Baggett said...

I think it's lack of love. Lack of love (and often abuse) definitely act as catalysts to cause homelessness and they keep people homeless too. Of course, once homelessness occurs, there are so many issues of trust and confidence and rebuilding in the individual and in social ties that needs to happen. To me it's both an individual and societal epidemic and I truly believe a poor reflexion of myself and our supposed "modern" society that so many are in such desperate situations. Of course any one person can not "save" another and even the best programs or government could not keep some from the path they choose, but I know 99% (I made that up) of homeless do not really want to live that way. I know these thoughts in no way answer these huge questions or solve any dilemnas, but I really think if we could all walk out love, sacrificial, meaningful, relational love, homelessness would not be such a huge problem, but an opportunity to help others and love some more.

Anonymous said...

I've expierenced that people choose their way of living by themselves... nowbody can help such a person if he or she doesn't do anything self...
I do wish to help a man I love but he doesn't move to the same aim - to his better life - together with me...
What can I do?..