26 June, 2005

Our Health Service

I was listening to the news. When I heard that ambulance crews might be expected to do just more than treat road side accidents and minor injuries. My first thought was God what are we coming to? We have already cut down on the fire service and are still struggling to get a full police force. Then when I heard that there had already been trials up in the north. I thought why hadn't they had these trials in one of the busy cities like London or Birmingham?
How many people have to suffer while the government tries to save money? We already have a stretched health service which seems to be going under. We seem to be trying things now that are last resorts.
While the government try this and that, people are suffering tremendously. People are still having to wait in A and E and when beds are needed you might as well pray for a miracle. I know the government are pouring money into the health service, but it's going downhill fast.
What can be done? I haven't got a bloody clue. All I know is something has to done soon with our health service. We need more doctors and nurses and as nurses are poorly paid how can we expect them to work in the NHS? Would you? I also think we need to stop treating the NHS as if it's a business because it's not. It's why people pay national insurance. I believe that every single penny we pay should be spent on the NHS and not anything else. If it is not enough, I'm sure that people would pay more if they knew they where going to get a good service. It's the one thing that any government should fight to keep a free national health service. It should be there when needed or is it just me that's being idealistic?

No comments: