10 October, 2005

Always thinking

I am always thinking these days and trying to explain to people that up until a few years ago it was as if I'd been in a comma and then suddenly came out of it to find the world I had lived in had changed. I don't know whether it's because I see things so simply that sometimes I make a lot of sense or that it's really me making sense for once. Last week when I told a certain someone that most of the homeless people I had interviewed were saying they thought they were being forgotten and that certain charities were concentrating their efforts on people in hostels ect. Because I was going to do a radio interview I was told you can't say that. Then I thought about it and I came to the conclusion why can't I tell the truth? Why can't I say homeless people feel they are getting the short end of the stick? As I said I am always thinking and as I travel from place to place on the bus I look at the scenes of homeless people. I see the drug dealers doing their deals with addicts. I see the beggars sitting with their signs and I am struck by how really lucky I am to be out of it. To be on the other side of the fence where I can say this is wrong. How can one of the richest nations have homelessness? How can one of the smallest have such a drug problem? How come I'm here telling having to tell you this?

No comments: