20 September, 2005

The new me


To answer the woman on the bus. Yes I have had a change of image. I no longer have the long scruffy hair and I no longer look like I've been dragged through a hedge backwards as you so kindly put it. (old picture in my profile)I am so glad you like the new me. Thank you for reconising me from the piece in the paper. It was nice of you to say you like my column although it's not a column it's a blog. To answer your question on why are there so many homeless people. Well, firstly there are not enough council houses being built to house the families we have in this country and as soon as they are built they can be sold off in five years. Secondly many homeless people have problems from drugs to drink to mental health and at present I can't see any government changing that. I think it was due to the Thatcher era when the conservatives cut government spending. The health service, councils, old people, road building, house building all suffered. We now have a culture of housing estates where the head of the house has been on the dole for what seems like ever. Their children have now grown up and they are on the dole and their children are now running around seeing the same future for themselves. Some people on the streets are these people they have lost faith with society and all it promised. Now they have the added problem of whatever ails them. Is there cure for homelessness? I believe so but we are a long way from finding a solution

1 comment:

Rowena said...

You are getting recognised on the bus! Next we might see you in the "spotted" section of Heat magazine! I'm in Japan at the moment where I am amazed at the amount of homeless people and the amount of posessions they have with them in cardboard shelters around the streets. I'm going to see if I can find out more about what happens here because I know the winters are snowy and bitter...